Friday, April 9, 2010

Dehradun to Purola to Sankri

Reached Dehradun early morning. Had a cup of chai, took a Vikram (a Big Auto Rikshaw) to Small bus depot of Dehradun. The plan was to either get a bus to Sankri or reach Sankri via Purola. Luckily the bus to Purola was just leaving (6:30am). I hopped in. Found a lot of enthusiastic tourist, especially a Maharashtrian bunch, who were very excited, taking pictures, playing loud Marathi music on their cellphones, heading to Kempty Falls. Nearly everyone got off at either Mussourie or Kempty Falls. Few got off at Naugaon and remaining few at Purola. Managed to find a taxi heading to Sankri (Luckily), reached Sankri in evening and I put myself up at the GMVN. Sankri is a small hamlet, in midst of the mountains. It’s the second last motor-able village on this route. Last is Taluka in ideal climatic conditions.
My guide Chandan Singh Rana: Contact Details: 09410532978 met me in evening. Initially when in Delhi I spoke to him regarding day charges and not the package. When in Sankri he started talking about the package and stuff. I told him I need him for 2 days and he said he will charge me for 3 days since the trek is for three days and etc, etc…. I couldn’t digest that and refused, saying “aap se jo baat hui thi usi ke hisaab se paise dunga.. nahi toh 2 din main Sankri mein aaram karke waapas chale jaunga.” Knowing that there are many people around, he agreed. Paid him 500/- per day and 300/- day for the poter. Same evening we bought all the ration, fuel etc. Arranged tents and kitchen and were all set for next morning. Had the pahadi chicken for dinner and went off to goodnight sleep.
NOTE: It’s my personal opinion, been trekking in Gharwal, and Himachal this particular guide wasn’t as good as the other few I have had in the past. All he seem wanted was more money. I thought I paid him fair enough.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    Thanks for the information, I am going to har Ki Doon on May 28. By 29th, I need a porter, can you please suggest somebody. Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete